As tax season steadily approaches, Americans are constantly looking for new ways to save more of their hard earned money by paying less to Uncle Sam. Believe it or not, the IRS is making it a little easier this time around, especially for breastfeeding moms. The IRS has recently added breastfeeding products and supplies to their new list of tax deductibles.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has been working tirelessly to get the IRS to implement this tax code change and finally it has become a reality. The IRS had previously stated that breastfeeding did not have enough medical benefits to qualify as tax exempt. But, increased research on the subject of breastfeeding has led the IRS to change their stance.

In an announcement from the IRS this January, they stated, “The Internal Revenue Service has concluded that breast pumps and supplies that assist lactation are medical care under 213(d) of the Internal Revenue Code because, like obstetric care, they are for the purpose of affecting a structure or function of the body of the lactating woman.”

The primary reason for the tax code change is the multitude of documented health benefits that infants receive through breastfeeding. “For years, the AAP has been urging the IRS to recognize that breast milk is not just the best and most natural food for infants; it confers well-documented health benefits on both baby and mother that cannot be obtained any other way,” AAP said in a statement. “The IRS has finally acknowledged this medical fact, and we applaud them for changing their regulations accordingly.”

However, the largest implication stemming from the new tax code is the mere fact that more new moms will be able to offset some of the costs of breastfeeding supplies and be able to more easily nourish their babies. New moms can save up to $1,000 in tax deductibles for their breastfeeding products and supplies. Meaning that it now pays in more ways than one to breastfeed your baby.

*Please consult with your tax advisor to determine how this new IRS ruling affects your personal tax return.